Saturday, February 13, 2016

Side Projects Part 2: Knitting

Many moons ago (is that nights or months? I never figured that one out) I splurged and purchased the utterly rad steampunk/post-apocalyptic knitwear collection Doomsday Knits. I drooled over every page, and then finally settled on the Fennec shrug for my first project. I loaded up on Cotlin DK in Linen and Brown Sugar and got to work. I had to adjust my math on the fly to account for a slightly loose gauge and my own measurements, but knitting the main body, hood, and sleeve trim was a breeze. Even the seaming was straightforward and quick.

Then I got to the front trim/band thing. I hadn't realized at first that the band was only longer than the shrug on one side. Sometimes I can deal with asymmetry, but a long tie that I can't even TIE? What is this madness?! I knew it would drive me crazy, and the only sensible solution seemed to be making it long on both sides so that I could cross them, wrap them around my body, and tie them again the front. I somehow arrived at a length of 11 feet for this purpose, and cast on a whopping 594 stitches. It took me weeks just to knit this narrow band.

This is where a picture of that monstrosity being blocked would go, if I could find it!

Even after it had blocked, it was just so heavy that it would hang curled into a dense, heavy rope when draped over me. I held out (completely unrealistic) hope and started attaching it to the hood, but it was obviously no good. The weight of it was making it at least an extra foot longer, and it was just so heavy and unwieldy that I was unpleasantly reminded of trying to tie on a Moby wrap.

Frustrated, I shoved it in a box and ignored it for an entire year.

I probably would have gone on ignoring it, except that I spotted the box taking up room in my closet and couldn't honestly remember what was in it. I pulled it down and was suddenly convinced that I could fix it!

Step 1: Rip off and frog the entire 11 foot band. No hesitating. Just do it.

Step 2: Soak the rest of the shrug and throw it in the dryer on high heat to see if you can get it to shrink at all because even with all my mathing, it was still roomier than I'd like.

Step 3: Reknit the band to have NO TIES AT ALL. Only make it long enough to be decorative trim.

Step 4: Shrink and seam that sucker, and wear it with pride!

I'm happy to say that all steps were followed with success. I even wound up putting a small button right at the neckline to hold it closed. While it's still kind of a weird sweater that I won't wear super often, I'm glad I rescued it! And I got compliments!

Forgive my derpy expression. I was trying to look like a cool magazine model. I'm a terrible model. >_<
In fact, the first time I wore it was the to the first Shawl Ministry meeting I attended - Part Two of my knitting side project story! A much shorter part. I signed up for the UUCCWC Shawl Ministry, I showed up the first Saturday in February with yarn, tools, and brownies. Everyone was happy to see me, I had a lovely time, and I cast on for a purple lace shawl that will be added to the stash of scarves and shawls donated to those in need of comfort. Next month we're all going on the Rose City Yarn Crawl together! Wooooo yarn nerdery!

No comments:

Post a Comment